Daily Prompt: Silver Linings
Write about something you consider “ugly” — war, violence, failure, hatred — but try to find beauty, or a sense of hope, in your thoughts.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us UGLY.
A Benefit Concert is normally to raise money for a great cause.
The big celebrity shindigs normally have a huge turn out of celebrities who convince people to donate.
The latest Benefit in Boston is still all the rage in Twitter and various social media.
Benefit Concert Unites Americans in Love of Boston, Hatred of Dane Cook
The Boston Strong benefit concert that streamed over the web Thursday night was notable for appearances by homegrown artists ranging from Aerosmith to the reunited New Kids on the Block. But the most talked about act of the night was Dane Cook… and not because America suddenly fell in love with him all over again.
The hostility toward Cook toward the end of the show became rampant enough that the comedian became a trending topic on Twitter — out of sheer contempt. He’s always been a polarizing comic, but what caused him to become a social media supervillain on a night devoted to charity and good vibes? Just this: The web feed being viewed by millions went dead as soon as he took the stage and came back on as soon as he left, leading to rampant speculation that he had disallowed organizers from sending his set over the web like everyone else’s.
Eventually Cook confirmed it himself, sounding blithe about the rampant contempt directed his way: “Hey everyone sorry my set was not a part of the live stream or televised! I didn’t want any of the new material to hit the airwaves yet! I can’t wait to share it soon!”
If the marathon bombings made Bostonians mad, Cook’s “Dane Cook move” (as one angry tweeter put it) might have been the one thing that could have enraged locals even more. Jeff Howe, a sports writer for the Boston Herald, unleashed a series of tweets bashing the comic. “Couldn’t imagine turning on a city the way @DaneCook did tonight. I know that’s not how it goes here in Massachusetts… I’ll admit, I used to think he was hilarious, but turning your back on your state makes you look like a squirrel… Why use a tragedy to tease your career?”
Dane Cook [Getty Images]
Other Boston residents or sympathizers joined in on Twitter: “I have loved Dane Cook since day 1, but I am just speechless on what he did tonight. Feel betrayed”… “If this rumor is true about Dane Cook blocking the stream of his performance for a charity show, he should rot in hell asap”… “Dane Cook right up the with Onizneb as the shame of Massachusetts”… “We will always forgive Doug Flutie for the gym shorts, but we will never forgive Dane Cook for being Dane Cook”… “If Dane Cook wasn’t just censored and he blocked it himself, he has become public enemy number 1″… “I hear Dane Cook earned $100,000 for Boston charities by auctioning off his exit from the stage”… And so on.
Cook did allow himself to appear on camera for the all-star finale, joining Aerosmith for the the classic rock song “Dirty Water” and wielding Steven Tyler’s mic stand, apparently unaware of the fact that he’d just become the most discussed alleged evildoer in America. As one tweeter wrote, “Watching Dane Cook sing and dance oblivious to the fact Boston hates him is the funniest thing he has done in years!”
At first, viewers figured there might be technical difficulties when the feed dropped out moments after Cook came on stage, since the first third of the five-hour-plus concert was plagued by streaming difficulties that rendered the show virtually unwatchable. That buffering disaster caused untold thousands to tune out of the broadcast and stirred up its own social-media firestorm, until the streaming finally smoothed out at about the time Jason Aldean took the stage two hours into the show.
Did someone lose sight about what a fund raiser is all about here? Perhaps next time Mr. Cook should think twice before making an appearance till he is ready to publicise his material.
Giving the fundraiser a black eye was not his intent, or at least I hope not. All in all Money was still raised and even he was still able to raise some money.
That is the silver lining to this cloudy day.
Here are what other Daily Prompt Writers had to say on the subject:
- A House That is Falling Apart | Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | likereadingontrains
- There’s Nothing Uglier Than the Human Mind | Ramisa the Authoress
- Silver Linings of A Special Needs Sister | Adventure of Yasin
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | I Work for a Jerk
- Some Can Even Find Good In Bigotry (a poem) | The Jittery Goat
- O beautiful | Relax…
- Daily Prompt: VIOLENCE! There’s an Army Rising Up! | The Abuse Expose’ with Secret Angel
- Purely ugly-Daily Prompt | Piercing through the Winds
- silver lining | sarahscapes
- silver lining in violence? | sarahscapes
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings // 365 Day 126 – Ugly | AmiLoo’s Photography
- Ugly numbers | Spunky Wayfarer
- Finding a Silver Lining in Failures | Things To Rave About
- The Road of Hills and Curves | Donbury Pond
- ugly | charlottesville winter
- Silver Linings | Echoes and Whispers
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Animal Abuse… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | Of Glass & Paper
- Daily Prompt: Silver Lining | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The “Storm” of Freedom | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Mor(t)ality | Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Daily Prompt: Anger Isn’t Always A Bad Thing | Creative Mysteries
- That Silent, Vacant Place | Blue Loft
- The Ugly Green Sweater « littlemisswordy
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings (Beautiful Ruins) | Reveries of Forevers
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings – Rain grows the earth: No silver lining | SERENDIPITY
- Ugly | Cat’s Chinwag
- When ugly becomes beautiful | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Bipartisanship in Crisis | Revolutionary Paideia
- Daily Prompt: Litter is Ugly | Musing Off the Mat
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings: The Very Picture of Ugly | SERENDIPITY
- Epiphany at the Kitchen Table | meanderedwanderings
- Silver Linings | No Elephants In This Room
- Daily Prompt: Israel Speaks | Cytherean Dreams
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | The Tarot Alchemist
- Daily Prompt : Silver Linings (Poem) | Saunved…
- the UNCATEGORISED: Daily Prompt | Silver Linings | the TRASH BASH
- Daily Prompt: Silver Lining | suzie81’s Blog
- January 6, 2013 Notes to file: On Peace | theseeker
- The Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | Required Writing
- A box full of soil | Vivir, que no es poco
- Vivir, que no es poco
- Embracing My Inner Hippie | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Post: The Joy Within | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings (Nonnet) | Morrighan’s Muse
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | writinglikeastoner
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings – Failure | My.Vivid.Visions
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | My Endless Rants & Ramblings
- Love. Life. | Dealing with Loneliness
- Siver linings | Sue’s Trifles
- Your ugly is someone’s battle scars | 365 wings of hope
- Silver Linings: Daily Prompt | A Healthy Big Gurl
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | I am Super Istar
- Daily Post Silver Linings: I can see clearly now… | An Early Start
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | Stevie’s Words
- You know what’s ugly? | the curious traveler
- Silver Linings: | Khana’s Web
- Learning to Cook Organic (while kicking fear to the curb) | The Peace Filled Life
- Day 152: Time without a Job | 365 Days of Thanks
- Daily Prompt: Silver Linings | The Blogging Path
- UGLY ART: EVOLUTION | Standing Ovation, Seated
- South Korean Cosmetic Surgery: When Your Perspective Is So Skewed Life Gets Ugly | wordswithnannaprawn
- Daily Post-Silver Lining: Determination & CrossFit | Essence of Del
- Daily Prompt; Silver Linings | terry1954