Daily Prompt: Person of the Year
You’re asked to nominate someone for TIME’s Person of the Year.
Who would it be, and why?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us BIG.
Since President Obama made the cover in 2012 over several other people who seemed qualified I am wondering how they base it.
Here is the short list of canidates according to http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/18/time-reveals-its-shortlist-for-person-of-the-year-2012/
The short list rounds up an elite list of famous names in business, politics and science. It includes Malala Yousafzai, the young Pakistani activist who was shot in the head by the Taliban for her crusade for better girls’ education; U.S. president Barack Obama; Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi; and Bill and Hillary Clinton for their global humanitarian and political activism. Two prominent business leaders also made the cut: Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo!, and Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, along with the Higgs Boson — the particle of the year — and the three scientists who discovered it.
Following last year’s group choice of “The Protester,” the only group to appear on this year’s list is “Undocumented Americans” — a pick that highlights the demographic growth and increasing political power of Latino Americans and the ongoing struggle over U.S. immigration policy.
All eight candidates appeared on TIME’s online reader poll, but none took first place. TIME’s online voters have already revealed their choice for this year’s top newsmaker: Kim Jong Un. More than 5.6 million people voted for the supreme leader of North Korea, although his results and those of other high scorers got a boost from members of Internet forums like 4Chan. While TIME’s editors have the final say and don’t make their selection based on the poll results, “it’s always interesting to see where some of our preferred candidates end up,” says TIME executive editor Radhika Jones.
Each year since 1927, TIME has named a newsmaker of the year: the person that most influenced our world this year – for good or for ill. Last year’s choice, The Protester, came out on top of runners-up including the newly minted Duchess of Cambridge and Chinese dissident Ai Weiwei. The choice is always kept under tight wraps until the minute the magazine cover is unveiled.
I think that I am missing something here with reading this as there seems to be a contradiction in their statements to the final outcome for last year.
Who would you pick for this year? Would love to hear…
I am leaning toward Yoda myself
May the force be with you Time in finding your 2013 choice…
Here are what other Daily Prompt Writers had to say:
- Not a people pleaser | A Teacher’s Blog
- Too Early to Decide | Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | likereadingontrains
- The Woman is not perfect | A Teacher’s Blog
- Riding on a Donkey – what for? | A Teacher’s Blog
- Madiba | Travellin’ Thru Rambles
- 159. Daily Prompt: Big | Sofie’s Diary
- BIG | thoughtsofrkh
- 50 Word: Person of the Year | Kristina Barry
- 50 Words: Person of the Year | Scant Words
- GES Person of the (mid) Year award | Geek Ergo Sum
- GES Person of the (mid) Year award – The Oblivious | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Person Of The Year | iChristian
- I Nominate My Bezzie | Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | Words From The Desk Of An Insomniac
- A Person of the Year | Miss Pelican’s Perch
- Tata Madiba for Person of the Year | Nanuschka’s Blog
- Bassem Youseff: Person of the Year | بيسان
- Big and Awesome! | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: BIG | Postcards from
- The Person of the Year; And It Ain’t You | The Jittery Goat
- My person of the year is…. | Hope* the happy hugger
- DP – Person Of The Year | Life With Pink Princesses
- What Makes People Deserve Awards? | windandlaughter
- Dirty Laundry – [Daily Prompt: Person of the Year] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompts: Person of the Year « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Parents of the Year | Thriving Pessimist…
- Daily prompt: BIG | It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see – Thoreau
- Foster Mama of the Year… | Haiku By Ku
- Donors | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Big | HpWpBp
- Flying On Empty Thoughts | Daily Prompt: Person of the Year
- Teacher and Mother: A true person of the year | Lewis Cave
- Into The Distance | The Educated Illiterates
- Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Big // 365 Day 138 | AmiLoo’s Photography
- Person of the year | March of the Gypsies
- Daily Prompt: Person of the Year | On My Front Porch
- Person of The Year | Tony’s Texts
- Daily Prompt: Meet Donald, the Ticket Tearer | Iam Who Iam
- Daily Prompt: Time Before Time | One Starving Activist
- Bigger, nothing. | Hasta Que mi Corazón Explote… | Until my Heart Explodes…
- His name is Bill W. | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Jane or John Doe | Vivir, que no es poco
- I have the power | That Socially Anxious Atheist Paranoid Gay
- ARTIST OF THE YEAR? | Standing Ovation, Seated
Let me know what you think…