Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention
Pick a contentious issue about which you care deeply — it could be the same-sex marriage debate, or just a disagreement you’re having with a friend. Write a post defending the opposite position, and then reflect on what it was like to do that.
Our little grandson (adopted) has visited this weekend with his brother and sister. He has had the fabulous chore of writing “I will not lie” 1000 times. This is a homework assignment for him that stemmed back first off due to him picking on a girl in his class. He fibbed to the teacher and his mother on four different occasions about doing this with other classmates who came forward to say that it was him. The school has a 0 tolerance rule for bullying of any form.
Just to lay the ground rules and story.
Since he is visiting it has been my task to make sure that no television and fun things have been allowed that would normally be. While his sister and brother do enjoy them. This is killing me, but I am the tough nut who is following the rules.
My hubby feels I am a ________. He feels that the child has a crush on the little girl subconsciously and that is why he is acting the way he is. He feels that it is something that he will out grow and that boys will be boys. This has made for an interesting weekend. He has offered to copy pages and have him put the numbers on. I have explained that teaching him to cheat does not help him to learn consequences for actions.
My hubby totally disagrees with me that the child is way to young to understand what his actions have really done. I do not agree and feel that he needs to understand that the feelings of the girl have been hurt and she has been humiliated though his not being nice.
What do you think? Are we crossing the Third Amendment as my hubby states? Or are we doing a responsible parenting issue and nipping it as it happens?
Would love to hear from you what you feel.
Here are what some other issues that the Daily Prompt Writer wrote about:
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | Basically Beyond Basic
- So, Will You Hate Me? | calliopes lyre
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | My Atheist Blog
- Talking to Oneself is Normal | Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | The Hardest Thing | Loading…
- Gather The Wood And Light The Fire | The Jittery Goat
- The Details in the Bigger Picture | Death By Any Other Name
- That’s your point of view | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | edilzade2013
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Bone of Contention | baka’s blog