Tell us about a time you did a 180 — changed your views on something, reversed a decision, or acted in a way you ordinarily don’t.
I would have to say that would be my views on marriage and getting married before I met my new hubby.
I had a life that was going well for me and I was comfortable. I did not date and had no intentions of dating. It seemed that all my friends who were trying to date that were my age were having a disastrous time of it.
Since we had met through several mutual friends on both ends due to their insistence, we spent a Thanksgiving Weekend together since we were both alone and no one to eat dinner with.
His children were in Illinois with their wife’s family and mine were in Herkimer, NY with their father and his family. We made lasagna and Turkey dinner and I froze the rest for him in small meals before I left to go back home.
I flew for several years following that weekend to Tennessee to see him since he will not board a plane. Would I have normally have done that? Not at all.
I had prayed about meeting him and getting to know him daily regarding whether I should or not and for God to give me a sign if it would be right for me to do. We had corresponded and spoke on the phone for about two years. Just as friends though with no intention of getting together. It was not like I did not learn a lot about him prior to my trip.
I did not tell my children as I did not anticipate it to last. Since I was brand new to the dating world, I really wanted to take it slow.
He proposed several times and the timing was not quite right for either of us. Finally the last time it was.
It will be four years in September and we are living proof that trying again is not a bad thing even at our age.
It feels like it was part of God’s plan in my life. If you had asked me ten years ago if I would be married, I would have thrown a dirty look your way and tactfully have said No Thanks.
It was a change that was good for me and I have grown to know that marriage does and can work.
What was your 180 degree turn around? Would love to hear.
Here are what some other Daily Prompt Writers Had to say:
- Daily Post: 180 Degrees | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- 180 degrees | Taking time, making time
- Why You Shouldn’t Just Assume that North Korea is Crazy | Never Stationary
- My Very First Time | Stuphblog
- War And Courage | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | Completely Disappear
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees – Tiny’s Story | Rolbos ©
- Almost became “trained” | Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | likereadingontrains
- 117. The Family Van: Doing a 180: DPChalenge | Sofie’s Diary
- Enabling road kill: today’s 180 | Miss Moiety
- Daily Prompt: 180 Degrees | بيسان
- No way, not on your nelly… where do I sign? | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind