The Tooth Fairy (or Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus . . .) : a fun and harmless fiction, or a pointless justification for lying to children?
Yesterday I still have in a draft since it was so far from reality that I really did not have the type of dreaming day that I could express the daily prompt of getting 10,000 dollars and seven days off in a row from work. Today is a hot topic among the younger generation. My generation tolerated it to appease the older generation who were head strong in insisting that it was a must have. My in-laws would have been crushed if we did not play along with their Ukrainian version of these stories. It was tough enough having the Ukrainian Christmas and Ukrainian Easter. The blown eggs on the other hand were well worth it. To see the joy in my in-laws faces with my children made it worth it.
With my children it did not last long once they went to a private Baptist School. Being told it was like Halloween were it was just something that was a costume thing that people did they accepted the ideas. They said nothing to other children who did believe thank goodness.
With my grand children the topic never came up as my oldest daughter is Jewish and my youngest daughter just grew up not believing. So the traditions just faded.
How does your family handle the situations? Would love to hear from you.
Here are what some other Daily Prompt Writers had to say on the subject:
- Daily Post: Fantasy | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Fiction Isn’t A Lie,But Maybe You’re Liars. | Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy « Mama Bear Musings
- Toothfairy Tales | Living Young & Wild & Free
- pixie dust and elfin tales | Right Down My Alley
- Fantasmagorical | Hope* the happy hugger
- Tooth fairies and all that jazz | I solemnly swear i am upto no good!
- These Peeps are Making Me Dizzy « Sorta-Ginger
- “You Can’t Handle The Truth!” | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy | My unsorted thoughts
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy | بيسان
- Fantasy and Happy Endings | Beyond Beauty Tips
- Imagine for Hope | Chasing The Bubble
- Harmless childhood fantasy or blatant lying? | Being Special
- My Childhood Was Net Better | Never Stationary
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy Lies to Survive | Lines by Linda
- a daily prompt Tug-Of-War | thematticuskingdom
- Childhood Fables: Yay or nay? | Stuphblog
- Stories on the rock | Spunky Wayfarer
- Trust me | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy | Basically Beyond Basic
- How My Childhood Insecurities Has Made Me a Dreamer | Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
- Cupid Floating Over Rivers of Sands, Floods and Gust, Hear Me, Hear Me. | Share, My Dad Says.
- A li’l Fantasy takes the truth a long way… | Pigments of Life
- Mad Molly | Mind of a Mouse
- Santa’s not real? | polysyllabic profundities
- Daily Prompt: Ho-Ho-Huh? | One Starving Activist
- Fantasies, when the truth isn’t good enough. | The Nameless One
- One of life’s dreamers… | sat n’ all that
- Pass the mini eggs | theloneshewolf
- Fantasy or Reality, Childhood Tales | thelissachronicles
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy | My Atheist Blog
- Fantasy. Lies. Who cares? | jaycee68
- Darn lies… | Hasta Que mi Corazón Explote…
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Pants on Fire | Ald+R
- Ain’t nowt wrong with a bit of fantasy | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- The whole tooth and nothing but the tooth. | Paul Scribbles
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy (I’m Thankful for Those Little Fairy Tales) | Creative Mysteries